Covid-19 has severely impacted the United States economy. An economic recession caused by the worldwide public health crisis is underway. With this downturn individuals are contemplating now more than ever filing bankruptcy and seeking financial relief. Call us today and set up your free phone consultation to see if filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy can provide you with relief during these difficult times.

Do You Need to Modify Your Child Support Order?

Our Blog

Do You Need to Modify Your Child Support Order?

By | Leave a Comment

child support modifications

It is putting it lightly to say that the first half of 2020 has been difficult for many households. At businesses shut down across the United States, many people had their jobs put on hold or lost their jobs entirely. Unemployment can make it difficult to cover your regular bills and expenses, and many people struggle to keep up with payments. Many unemployed parents could not afford to make child support payments – and still might not be able to do so.

If you cannot pay your child support due to losing your job or other circumstances, you should never simply stop your payments. Doing so without permission from the court can result in serious consequences for violating a court order. Instead, speak with a family lawyer in Melbourne about your options for modifying your child support payments.

Seeking a Child Support Modification

The law recognizes that financial situations can change, so parents ordered to pay child support are allowed to file a petition with the family court to request a modification of their payments. In order to qualify for such a modification, the following must be true:

  • There has been a substantial change in circumstances
  • The change is involuntary and not temporary
  • The change warrants at least a 15 percent adjustment to current child support payments

If you can show the above, the court should adjust your child support order, so the payment is feasible given your financial situation.

Discuss Your Options with a Family Lawyer in Melbourne

Child support modifications are not always simple, and the parent who receives the child support might try to challenge any requested changes. You should always seek assistance from a Melbourne family law attorney at Harnage Law, PLLC. Contact us online or call 321.549.7886 to learn how we can help you.